A Brief History of Beechwood School
Our school was opened in January 1953 as an answer to the post war “baby boom” in which there were far too many children chasing too few school places.
Beechwood was built on the site of an old brickworks and Southampton Corporation (as it was then known) paid £1 for the land. However, it proved to be not such a bargain as the ground was waterlogged and they had to build a huge, deep concrete platform for the school to stand on, at great expense.
The school is a lovely example of a school of that time – well built, sturdy, good sized classrooms and corridors and, as time goes on, it gets a gradual facelift with modern replacement windows and creative use of its grounds, currently encompassing a pre-school and a social services office. It is hard to believe but, in the early 1970s, there was a swimming pool where the adventure playground now stands!
It has had its ups and downs and, whilst it opened with pupil numbers of approximately five hundred or more, it has had as few as one hundred and fifty children on roll. Numbers are rising as the birth rate in the City increases and, by 2014, it will again hold twelve classes with thirty children in each class.
Currently, Beechwood is aiming to be an outstanding school and pupils, staff and parents are proud to be part of the Beechwood community.