PE Co-ordinator/Class Teacher
The PE Curriculum at Beechwood Junior School
Children enjoy two PE lessons a week, one inside and one outside. Lessons cover a whole range of physical activities including outdoor games and indoor gymnastics and dance. There are also residential opportunities in each year group for children to attend on alternate years; for year 5-6 – London or France, and for years 3-4 – Stubbington or Avon Tyrell. Throughout the year pupils also have the possibility to participate in festivals and competitions with other local schools as well as through Southampton School Games. All children take part in the school’s annual Sports Day.
Sports Captains at Beechwood Junior School
Sports captains play a very important role at school – they motivate and inspire other pupils as well as being positive role models and ambassadors for sport and PE. The Sports Captains key responsibilities are:
- To work together as part of the team of Sports Captains.
- To work with the P.E. Co-ordinator to organise and maintain school sports equipment.
- To support staff in organising House sports events.
- To run physical competitions between the different Houses at lunchtimes.
- To help organise, run and referee House sports events as required.
- To liaise with House Captains.
- To wear the Sports Captain’s badge with pride. As well as the above responsibilities, a Sports Captain is expected to be a positive role model in terms of attitude, attendance, behaviour, manners and appearance to all members of Beechwood Junior School.
They are as follows:
After School Clubs
There are many opportunities for children to stay active after school. Beechwood Junior School offers a range of clubs including Netball, Girls Football, Pop Lacrosse, Drama, Yoga, Craft and Homework Clubs. For more information please speak to Miss Robertson. View our After School Clubs Here »
Hockey Tournament at Beechwood Junior School
At the end of the Autumn term, Year 3 and 4 competed in a House hockey tournament. The children participated in a range of skills based activities to apply and showcase their learning in outdoor PE during the half-term. The activities included: passing, dribbling, shooting and tackling. The children enjoyed competing against their peers and scoring points for the House. The winning team was Riverside. Well done!
Health and Fitness Day:
Health and Fitness day was a huge success! The children investigated the importance of a balanced diet and how exercise not only changes your body, it changes mind, your attitude and your mood. The children had a taster yoga session, created their own rainbow snacks and designed their own indoor and outdoor games.
Staff and pupils at Beechwood Junior School had the sun shining on them on sports day. Children rose to the challenge of competing in a number of running, throwing and jumping events. Well done to winning team, Juniper.